Friday, May 29, 2015

Spring Fling

On Wednesday I remarked that my last three finishes have all been charity quilts and it was time for a "me" project. So I pulled out a jelly roll I have been saving and got to work.

To begin, I needed to sort them into groups of three. This is what is shown above. I sewed them into to three strip sets then started cutting and sewing again.

Slowly the pattern started to emerge.

When I was happy with the layout I assembled the blocks. Then added a bit of sashing and borders.

The block pattern is Spring Fling by Sew Kind of Wonderful. It is a free pattern and uses their Quick Curve Ruler. The block pattern was published over a year ago. I've wanted to make one since the first time I saw it, but just got around to it this week. I omitted the "flower centers" on mine. I tried putting them in but just like it better this way.

I have a stack of leftovers that didn't get used on the front. Originally I was going to do a pieced border, but this is already 50.5" by 50.5" in size. I want to hang this in my dining room and 53" is the widest I can hang. So this is the size it will be. I may put the leftovers on the back or I may save them for another project. A pillow would be nice way to use them. We'll see what they want to be.

Now to decide how to quilt this.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

In Full Bloom

The pattern debuted recently at quilt market. It will be officially released tomorrow. Thus, I now have permission to share with you my Sue Spargo 2014 BOM, In Full Bloom.

The above photo was taken back in early February. I am hand quilting it using a seed stitch. I haven't had a chance to work on it in a while. Next time I do I will put it up on my design wall and snap a photo of my progress on the quilting.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Cowboy Quilt :: A Finish

Don't expect me to keep up this pace! This is my third finish of this week.

This is such a cute pattern. It's just two blocks - a square and a rail fence. The way you turn the rail fence block frames each square and creates the pattern. So simple!

This is the second top my mom pieced and sent it along with the backing and binding fabric. Again, it is simply quilted with an all-over meander. She sent me two more tops but I will wait for another time to finish them. My last three finishes have all been charity quilts. I think it is time for a "me" project. Not sure what that will be just yet, but whatever it is, it will be for me.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Bug Quilt :: A Finish

The second finish of this week!

I was doing a bit of organizing over the weekend and I found this completed top along with the backing fabric and binding fabric in one of my fabric bins. The top was pieced by my mom. She sent it to me along with the backing and binding. I finally finished it Mom!

I just did a simple all-over meander for the quilting. It is even labeled. I will get it washed later this week so that it will be ready to turn in for a charity quilt at my next guild meeting.

Monday, May 25, 2015

Charm Box Quilt :: A Finish

This may be one of my fastest quilt finishes ever! I picked fabrics and cut on Sunday, pieced the top on Wednesday, quilted it Thursday and finished it on Friday evening.

The pattern is called Charm Box Quilt and is a free pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop. I added borders to mine to make it a little larger. Mine finished at 43.5" by 52.5". I used scraps from my 5" pre-cut (by me) scrap box.

This quilt will go to my local hospital to the oncology department. I even already have the bag made for it!

Friday, May 22, 2015

Charm Box Quilt Top :: Borders and Backing

I knew I had something fabulous in my stash that would make a perfect border for this!

I added a 1" border using the sashing fabric, then a 3" border of this green, brown and cream hexagon print. I believe I bought it four or five years ago from Ruth's Stitchery in Colorado Springs. I have a dark green Moda marble that I will use for the binding. And below is what I found in my stash for the back.

I got it basted and quilted yesterday. My plan is to do the binding and label this weekend and then I will show you the finished quilt next week. 

I enjoy intricate, time-consuming projects but I also love fast and easy like this one. It is nice to change up the pace a bit.

The pattern details can be found in yesterday's post. Click here to directly there.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Charm Box Quilt Top

My scrap group met yesterday. I made this ...

I had everything cut out before hand and was able to complete the top in under 3 hours. It turned out so cute!

The pattern I used is called Charm Box Quilt. It is a free pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop. Click here to go to the free pattern.

I used scrap 5" squares from my stash. I tried to pick ones that looked more masculine. I plan to add an additional border to make it a bit larger as I want it to be an oncology quilt when finished.

This is such a cute quilt and so easy. I highly recommend the pattern if you need a quick project. It's a perfect baby quilt size as is, 36.5" by 45.5". We prefer oncology quilts to be at least 40" wide which is why I will add a border. I'm sure I have something in my stash that will make a nice border for this.