Friday, August 23, 2013

Friday Randomness

The boy started school yesterday, sixth grade.


So despite having quite a bit of work to do yesterday, I did manage to get some sewing done too while waiting between tasks for responses from others.

I made two more Metro Medallion blocks.

Left side are the two new ones; right side are the ones I made previously
*****************

My Scrap Group met on Wednesday. We made Scrap Basket Churn Dash blocks.


I have the pieces-parts for thirty blocks cut out. I managed to make a few more on Wednesday during class but I still have 14 more blocks left to make.

The idea for this months project came from the Happy Zombie. She called it Funky Wrench - Nuts & Bolts. I have always called this block Churn Dash, but Monkey Wrench is another name. I had to resize the pattern to use the 4" and 2" squares I have been cutting. My blocks will finish at 9" square.

********************

I tried a new cookie recipe this week, Best Oatmeal Cookies. They are pretty darn good!

********************

I saw a video for a neat way to make flying geese "dance" down the row, instead of march in a straight line on the Studio 180 Design website. The technique is called Migrating Geese. This link will take you to the video. After watching the video, I purchased the technique sheet for this method. This link will take you to where you can purchase your own technique sheet. There are many other free videos on this website so you may want to look around.

After I have had a chance to play with this technique, I'm sure I'll blog about it again. One thing I like about this is that it does not require a fancy ruler.




4 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Wow, what a great post. I bet The Boy is excited about that first day of school. Thanks for the link to the cookie recipe. I'm known as the cookie monster. I love cookies. Thanks also for the link to the Migrating Geese. Looks interesting and like something I'd like to try. Love your Churn Dash blocks. I love that scrappy look and am going to ask my group if they'd like to do that. Like I said, great post!

Gene Black said...

I love the Metro Medallions, but I do not like buying specialty rulers. Yours look great.

Barb said...

That medallion one is awesome!!!

Mama Pea said...

Yay for the boy! There is so much awesome stuff in this post! I'll be back when I have more time to look at all the links. I love all that you are working on!