Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Goose On The Loose :: Block Four

I made two versions of this block. The first one is "controlled scrappy."


The second one is "chaotic scrappy" and my personal favorite of the two versions.


Here is what you need for the "controlled scrappy" version:

(4) 5.5" squares of scrap fabric for the geese part of the unit, two dark and two light/medium
(16) 3" squares of background fabric for the sky part of the unit, eight light and eight dark
(8) 1.5" by 6.5" rectangles of background fabric, four light and four dark



For this version I used my Wing Clipper to make the flying geese units. See the Block Two post for details about using the Wing Clipper. You will get four flying geese units from each 5.5" scrap square. You only need three of them for this block but save the fourth unit for a later block!

Lay out your three flying geese units plus two 1.5" by 6.5" rectangles as shown in the photo below.


Sew your geese together.


Then add the rectangles to either side.


This unit should measure 6.5" by 6.5" at this point. You need to repeat the above steps three more times to make four of these 6.5" by 6.5" units.

Lay out your units and sew them together as shown below.


I took a picture of the back of my block so you can see how I pressed my seams.


My ultimate plan is to set the blocks with sashing so you don't need to worry too much about pressing. You can press your seams in whatever way makes sense to you.

For my "chaotic scrappy" version I used the Flip, Flip, Finish technique. For a refresher on this method click here and then scroll down to the Flip, Flip, Finish section. To make your block with this method you will need:

(9) 4.5" by 2.5" rectangles of scrap for the geese part of the unit
(18) 2.5" squares of background fabric for the sky part of the unit
(8) 1.5" by 6.5" rectangles of background fabric


Make your flying geese units with the Flip, Flip, Finish method. Once your flying geese units are made you assemble the block just like the "controlled scrappy" version.

Again, here is my finished "chaotic scrappy" version.


This is probably the one I will end up using in my quilt. I feel it fits better with the other blocks I've done so far.

You could use the Wing Clipper to make a "chaotic scrappy" version too. To do so you would need (12) 5.5" squares of scrap for the geese part of the unit, (48) 3" squares of background fabric for the sky part of the unit, and then (8) 1.5" by 6.5" rectangles of background fabric. You would only use one of the four flying geese units you will get from each 5.5" square of scrap. This will leave you with 36 flying geese units left over. I know that seems like a lot of left over units, but these can be used in some of the later blocks in the quilt along. You could also use them in the border or on the back of your quilt.

Ask any questions in the comment section below. If I can, I will respond to you personally with an answer. If you are no-reply then I will leave the answer in the comments and you will need to check back.



No comments: