Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Goose on the Loose :: Top Finished

There are a variety of ways to finish your quilt. I opted for a simple sashing with corner stones to finish mine. 


I used 2.5" by 12.5" light strips for sashing in the center and 2.5" by 12.5" dark gray strips for the outer sashing. All of the corner stone squares are 2.5". This will give me a finished size of 44" by 58", which is perfect for my eventual plan for this quilt. 

Originally I planned to add a pieced flying geese border around the outside. Click here for an example of a what I had in mind. But this will make the quilt too big for it's intended purpose of a quilt for my guild's oncology quilt project.

Other ideas: (1) piece the sashing using a string piecing technique. Making light colored string pieced strips for the center sashing and dark colored string pieced strips for the outside sashing would give the same look as what I did above. (2) use simple sashing around the blocks then using the Migrating Geese technique for the outside border. I've used this border technique a few times. Here are a few examples of quilts I've made using it: Current Art Group Project and Scrap Jar Insanity.

If you have been quilting along I hope that you will send me pictures of your blocks and completed tops/quilts.


No comments: