Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Sew Along Update (Photo Heavy)

 I hosted my very first Sew Along through my shop the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving (November 25 & 26, 2022). We made Potato Chip blocks. I thought I would share the clues here with you in case you want to make some too. It won't be a mystery like it was for my participants, but it's still fun.

To get started you need to cut a bunch of 2" by 3.5" pieces from scraps. Don't worry about color or value. If you can get at least one 2" by 3.5" piece from the scrap use it! You will need (32) 2" by 3.5" pieces per block. The finished block size is 12" by 12".

Clue 1

Press the seam to one side. I pressed to the darker fabric. However, if you prefer to press your seams open, go for it. Pressing really doesn't matter that much for this block as long as the seams are nicely pressed.

Clue 2

Press all seams one direction. It really doesn't matter which direction.

Clue 3

Clue 4

Clue 5

From here on, press seams away from the center.

Clue 6

Clue 7

Clue 8

Clue 9

Clue 10

Potato Chip block layout

When you sew your blocks together, if you alternate the direction of the center pieces then none of the seams from one block to the next line up. You can just sew the blocks together or you could put sashing between them - your choice. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. I only have these two blocks finished. I was too busy doing other shop stuff during the Sew Along to actually be able to sew - oh well!

Alternate versions: You can do the same thing with 2 1/2" by 4 1/2" pieces but you only need 18 pieces to make a 12" by 12" finished size block. If you do this, Clue 8 is the LAST clue for this size of piece.

If you do pay attention to value you can make something like this. Note: this is not my quilt. I just found the photo online with no name or link. If you know whose quilt this is I would love to be able to give the maker credit.

Potato Chip block quilt with light/dark value placement

This quilt used 2 1/2" by 4 1/2" pieces. The maker made two sets of blocks. One set had dark center pieces and she alternated the value of each round. The second set had light center pieces and again, she alternated the value of each round. When you put them together you alternate the two sets of blocks.

If you decide to make any potato chip blocks I'd love to see photos of your blocks. You can leave them in the comments or email them to me. My email is in my profile.

By the way, they are called potato chip blocks because "you can't make just one," or so they say.




1 comment:

Sheri Woods said...

Didn’t Sharon Woodard call these Ladies Love Lumber blocks? I like the name potato chip. Can’t make just one!