Friday, June 29, 2012

Embroidered Block & Goldie Update

Like most guilds, my guild does a "winner take all" block each month. This is the block due at our July meeting.


I used wool for the heart and flowers. The buttons are attached with only the buttons in the center. I'm pleased with how it turned out!

Most of you know our sweet cat, Goldie, (who isn't gold at all).


Something happened to her Monday morning. We aren't positive what happened but I have a guess. I'll tell you what happened first, then explain my guess.

Monday morning she was underneath our camper yowling in a "help, help" kind of voice. I couldn't get her to come to me. She was in the exact middle of the camper underneath and I could not reach her. I had my son come out to help me. As soon as she say her boy she began to drag herself toward him, yowling the entire time. She could not use her back legs at all! As soon as she came out from underneath the camper, I scooped her up. Then we ran around like mad people collecting keys and shoes and her carrier and flew out the door to the vet. They examined her and took x-rays but could not find anything wrong with her, other than she was obviously in pain and her back side was paralyzed. She has been at the vet ever since.

The vet guesses that she received a severe blow to her back and has swelling that is causing the paralysis. We ruled out getting hit by a car because she has no broken bones or organ damage and we found her a long way from the street. In her condition, I don't think she could have drug herself that far. They are giving her anti-inflammatory meds along with pain medication and are keeping her still and calm in the hopes that she will get better with time. She is eating and drinking a little, but they are giving her extra nutrition and fluids through an IV.

photo from Tuesday's visit

We have been visiting her every day. Yesterday when we got home I cried and cried. She didn't seem to be getting any better. Today however, she was more like her regular self. She was able to move her tail and she was very talkative during our visit. She even sat up on her own for a short time. The vet says that they have notice some movement in her left back leg but not her right side yet. I didn't see that but she did move her tail numerous times for us. Whew! Big sigh of relief today!

photo from today's visit

My guess is that she fell out of our neighbor's aspen tree. She has climbed that tree numerous times and has never gotten herself safely out of it. We have always had to get the step ladder out and climb up to get her. The tree is right next to our camper and there are rocks underneath the tree on our side. There is also a short fence underneath the tree on the property line. So I think she fell from high enough to hurt herself but not high enough to have enough time to land on her feet.

I believe she now only has 8 lives left.


9 comments:

stephmabry said...

Poor kitty! I can't imagine how you're feeling; my cat, Molly,Mia the first per I've really picked for myself and I know I'd be devastated if something like this happened. I'll Keep your Goldie in my thoughts.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. When I first started reading your post I thought maybe she had a stroke, as that is what happened to our cat and we had to put her down. I was so relieved to see that Goldie is doing better. I bet she'll be back with you soon. Hugs to you, your family, and Goldie.

Jeanne said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Goldie. I hope she continues to improve and can come home very soon.

Denise in PA said...

Lyn, I'm so sorry about Goldie. I know how devastated I would feel, so my heart goes out to both of you. I am saying a prayer for her quick recovery. Hugs

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Praying for Goldie's complete recovery.

Jen said...

Poor kitty! I'm sending healing thoughts her way and hope she recovers soon. Lots of love and comfort <3

Jen said...

Poor kitty! I'm sending healing thoughts her way and hope she recovers soon. Lots of love and comfort <3

quilthexle said...

Oh no, poor Goldie !! I can imagine how you must feel - poor kitty! I'll keep my fingers crossed for a speedy and full recovery, I know how one can care about a family cat ...

Mama Pea said...

Oh, Lynn! I am so sorry to read about Goldie! I was tearing up while reading it. I am so glad to hear she is doing better and I will continue to send positive thoughts for a speedy recovery. Poor girl! Let's hope she stays out of that Aspen tree now! (I think the calico kitten we gave to one of my students only has about 5 lives left, if I'm counting right. Poor girl.)