Thursday, May 23, 2013

Think Outside the Kit Quilt

I finished the "think outside the kit" quilt during my parent's visit. Below is a progression of how it went together.

fabrics included in the kit

5" squares

four patches made from above 5" squares

panels cut from large print and playing with four patches

Added thin strip of black between panels and four patches then bordered the whole center with black

Borders attached
It finished at 64" by 79" and I don't think I used half of the fabric from the kit (shown in the first photo). I've got plenty left over to make a backing and do the binding. I'll probably have some left over from that too for scraps!

This was the "Summer" kit. As a reminder, this was the free pattern included with the "Summer" kit.

Mine doesn't look anything like the included pattern

I picked up a "Spring" kit too. Not sure what I'll do with it yet but I'm thrilled with how this one turned out. I may do something similar since it also contains a large print of the same type as the "Summer" kit. Or I may try to do something completely different. Whatever I make, I'll be sure to show it to you when the time comes.


6 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Lynn, I love what you did with this! I like it a lot better than the "kit" actually. I'm about there with some of my (many) kits too! o:)

Terri Hessler said...

YES! So much better than the pattern in the kit!

Deanna said...

Pretty! The very narrow sashing really works.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Lynn, this is darling. I love what you did with those fabrics. Looks fantastic!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

This is amazing. I love it.

Mama Pea said...

So much better than the pattern. I love what you did. Way to be brave and go for it!