Monday, April 30, 2018

Daphne Bag

I tried a new-to-me bag pattern. It's called the Daphne Handbag by Sallie Tomato.


It has two interior pockets, a zipper pocket and a slip pocket.


The bottom has a rectangle of Peltex between the layers for added stability as well as metal feet.


The hardware kit came with a metal zipper tab although the pattern also includes instructions for how to make and attach a fabric zipper tab if you prefer. I couldn't resist trying out the metal one.


I also splurged and purchased separately these metal fabric covered strap connectors to try them out too.


I was a bit frustrated that they didn't come with any installation instructions. However, Sallie Tomato has the instructions posted for free on her website. Once I located the proper instructions they were very easy to follow with lots of photos (which is probably why there aren't instructions in the package - it would cost too much to add them).

The pattern is well-written with good diagrams. However, if you are not an experienced bag maker I don't recommend attempting this one. I haven't even decided if I want to teach this pattern as a class in my shop or not because of it's difficulty level. There are also a lot of layers to sew through in several places. You need a really good quality sewing machine to tackle all those layers. 


1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love love love that bag. I wash someone around here would teach it.