Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Crocheted Rug

 I bought a large crochet hook years ago with the idea that I would use it and fabric strips to crochet a rug. You can see it in the photo below at the top right of the photo. Fast forward about 10 years, I found the unopened crochet hook! I decided it was time to give this a try. Instead of using scraps I decided to use a fun batik fabric from my shop. I got two yards, ripped it into 1" strips, made the fabric yarn and started crocheting. Well, two yards doesn't go very far!

start of my crochet rug

Sorry for the foot photo, but I needed something for scale. This is about an 8" by 25" piece of rug. Not nearly big enough! So I bought the rest of this fabric and brought it home. This time I cut it into 1" strips (much less messy than tearing) using my awesome Stripology ruler and got started making it into fabric yarn.


making fabric yarn

Based on how far 2 yards went, I estimated that I would need 10 yards to make the size rug I wanted. I only had 6 1/3 yards of this fabric left so I'm gonna just see how big I can make this rug with 8 1/3 yards of fabric. This is just going in my bathroom so if I have to use two fabrics to get the size I want that will be just fine.

It took me most of Sunday afternoon to turn the 6 1/3 yards worth of 1" strips into a ball of fabric yarn. I started to crochet with it but ran out of steam. It will get done over the course of the next few evenings of TV watching. It's a fun project and would be a great way to use up scraps. I might have to try that next. I certainly have enough scraps!



No comments: