Monday, September 16, 2024

Dip Dyed Rope Bowls

 I did a little experiment last week. I bought some liquid Rit dye from the grocery store along with a bottle of the Rit dye Color Fix. I followed the directions on the bottles and dip dyed a sewn bowl and some loose rope.

Here is the bowl before dyeing.

bowl before dyeing

I used an old bucket to set the bowl and loose rope in with the dye. Then I set them in the sun in my backyard to dry.

dyed bowl and rope drying in the sun

dyed bowl and rope drying in the sun

Here is what the bowl looks like after it dried. 

finished dip dyed bowl

Then I made another bowl with the dip dyed loose rope.

bowl made with loose dip dyed rope top view

bowl made with loose dip dyed rope side view

bowl made with loose dip dyed rope cork finish

On this bowl I tried out a different finish than I've used before. I just finished the bowl then cut a 1.5" by 3" piece of cork and folded it over the end of the rope. I made sure it was evenly folded over the edge and topstitched it down.

I'm not a big fan of dyeing fabric myself. I love the finished product but don't really enjoy the dyeing process personally. Dyeing rope is about the same, but much easier than the methods I have tried for dyeing fabric. It took about 2 hours of dyeing time, most of which was spent waiting. I would guess there was an actual 30 minutes of true work during the 2 hours. Then it took a few more hours of drying time, again, no actual work, just waiting patiently to handle my dyed stuff.

But wow, I love how both of them turned out!

If you would like to try this out and you can't get the supplies locally, I do have all of the rope, rope kits, and a rope sewing book listed for sale on my website.

Rope Sewing Supplies from Alamosa Quilt Company



No comments: