About a year ago some quilt guild friends were forming an art group and I was asked to join them. We meet once a month for about 2 hours. To start with we worked through the Art Quilt Workbook by Jane Davila and Elin Waterston.
Some time ago I saw an episode of Simply Quilts where a group of quilters were given a section of a black and white image and were instructed to create that image, to size, using any method or colors. The quilters did not know what the whole image was until after they turned in their section. It turned out to be the Kremlin, I think. The lines didn't match up exactly between the sections, but your eye forgave those discrepensies and it was a really neat quilt. I suggested that our group do somethng similar. Our group leader took a photo and cut it into seven wacky pieces. We each got a piece and made our piece. It took me a long time to make my piece. Several times during the process I questioned my sanity in even suggesting we try such a crazy idea. Once I finally finished my piece I decided that it wasn't that bad. The final quilt, pieced and quilted, is quite good I think. Well, everyone liked the quilt so much that we decided to do another one. This time we picked an image together. The original photo was taken by one of our group members of poppies in her garden. We cut it into seven fairly equal strips. Then we colored coded each strip and divided them up. My strip color is green. The rules were that your strip must be mostly your assigned color with a little bit of the complement. These are due on Tuesday. I am interested to see how this quilt will turn out. I like my section. Here is photo of my quilt section next to my image section.