Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Retreat Report 1: Urban Nine Patch, Shopping and Pin Cushions

I did a little shopping on the way to the retreat, stopping at Kathy's Fabric Trunk in Del Norte, CO. I purchased some half yards of sale fabrics.


And a stack of $1.50 fat quarters. One of these was free for retreat goers. Kathy is so good to us!


Here is my table at the retreat.


On the end of the table you can see a stack of four completed charity tops. I'll show you those tomorrow. Next to the tops you can see my birdie pin cushion I won in the exchange. I also won a little Tigger one I plan to give to my son.


I have the pattern to make the bird and even bought some candlestick bases for it at a local thrift shop, but I haven't made one yet. Now I don't have too!

My main retreat project was going to be my Oh My Stars quilt. However, I got side tracked by the Urban Nine Patch quilt along project and never got out the Oh My Stars project. I made four Urban Nine Patch variation blocks.


I'm calling them a variation because I put the outer curved pieces on a different way than the pattern said to. If you are not familiar with this quilt along you should check it out! It is hosted by Jenny of Sew Kind of Wonderful. You do need to use the ruler Jenny created to make the curves. She sells them on her website. The ruler is very easy to use and Jenny's instructions are very clear in the tutorial along with lots of photos showing exactly where to place your ruler. She also has a video demonstrating how she sews the curved pieces together without pinning. It is very easy. Just go slowly and breathe!

I was hesitant to purchase the ruler because I have had bad experiences before with slotted rulers for cutting circles. Even with the smallest 18 mm blade I could barely cut one layer of fabric. I asked around before purchasing this Quick Curve Ruler and all the good things everyone told me are true. I had no trouble using my regular 45 mm rotary cutter and easily cut four layers of fabric with the ruler. Some might say the ruler is pricey at $24.95 but the price includes shipping and you do get a free table runner pattern with it that is very cute. The Urban Nine Patch pattern is available for free on Jenny's blog. I have several ideas for things to do with this shape so for me it was a good investment.

9 comments:

krisgray said...

Your variation on the pattern worked well. The blocks are lovely!

Pat Merkle said...

Your Urban Nine Patch blocks variation look great. I'm really loving my ruler too.

Fran said...

Love what you've done with the pattern! I need to finish off my regular 9 patch quilt first though...

pegcollins said...

Love how these blocks go together!

Mama Pea said...

I love that Urban Nine Patch! And thanks for the review of the circle ruler. I will check it out. You know me and rulers! glad you had fun at your retreat. You had a big table to work at! How nice!!!

Jenny said...

What a nice post Lynn! I'm so glad you had fun doing these up and I love...love what you did with them! I'm looking forward to more ;o)...Thanks again!

Deanna said...

THe Urban Nine Patch blocks are lovely! Your colors are so cool and crisp. My Oh My Stars is waiting patiently, too. Someday...

Shar said...

Lynn, I like the Urban 9 patch, especially the circle around them. Your colors are great. I enjoyed spending time with you again! Shar

Linda said...

Your Urban 9 Patch blocks are awesome!!!!! I still need to order Jenny's ruler, but I will soon!! :-)