Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Retreat Report 2: Charity tops and work by others

I was able to complete four tops at retreat that will turn into charity quilts when completed.

The first is a simple pattern I have shown before using 4" squares and 4" by 6" rectangles (measurements are cut sizes). I was able to use up the last of the orange print with this top.


The second is a pattern my mom sent me that was handed out at her guild. It's called Cuddler's Blocks. Her guild calls charity quilts Cuddle Quilts.


It was a fun one to piece and came out a good size. The blocks are 9" finished and I added an extra row to make it a bit longer. Now that I think about it, the pattern called for a border. I don't know if I'll add a border or not though.

I was in charge of the Retreat Mystery Block again this time. I opted to do something quite different from what we have done in the past. I had everyone bring 2 fat quarters and I brought my stash of 6" squares. I had them choose two 6" squares that would coordinate with their fat quarters and then border the block with their fabrics. Then I showed them how to cut their blocks and we exchanged the pieces. When the dust settled we had made 35 blocks. A few people chipped in to make a few more blocks so that we ended up with two quilts from the blocks.




One of the ladies could only stay one night and since this block was pretty easy, we finished up the blocks before she had to leave on Saturday. This gave me the opportunity to get both tops put together at the retreat! Woo hoo!

Bev was again working on her donation quilt for the Stephanie Miner Breast Cancer Walk that happens here in October. She makes a T-shirt quilt each year from shirts she begs, borrows and steals. At the retreat she was working on the back.


Can you believe that this is going to be the back?!!! She already had all the t-shirts ready for the front and got the blocks basted before she left. She quilts these as she goes and then puts them together after they are quilted.

Lastly, here is Janet with her guild mystery quilt from a couple years ago.


She just had the border left to do at the retreat. This is the same quilt I made for our bed. You can see a photo of it here.

3 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Beautiful quilts. I love the name Cuddle Quilts. I'll have to remember that. No, I can't believe that one quilt is the back! What a lucky person who gets that one. Loved seeing all your quilts. So inspiring!

Mama Pea said...

I can't believe you got all that done! You are amazing.

You took the words right out of my mouth about the back of that quilt. I can't believe that's the BACK!

Beautiful quilt Janet made. Sounds like a super fun retreat!

Beeshebags said...

Hi again,

Is there any chance I could beg for a copy of the Cuddlers Blocks please?

I am helping out with Aussie Hero Quilts and laundry bags for our soldiers overseas and these would make nice quilts for them.

Hugs
Naomi