Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Finish

I finished up the binding on the Turning Twenty quilt I pieced at retreat.


I titled it "Candy Store" because the fat quarter bundle I used was called Quilter's Candy. All fabrics for the front and binding are from this line and purchased from Connecting Threads. I purchased these fabrics several years ago. I don't know if they are still available from Connecting Threads or not. I really liked these fabrics because I purchased the fat quarter bundle, two 2 1/2" strip packs, two 5" squares packs, as well as some yardage. I made or started four tops from these fabrics at my recent retreat! You can see three of them in this post and the other one in this post.

I purchased the backing fabric on sale on my way to retreat from Kathy's Fabric Trunk, a somewhat local quilt shop.


It is a green geometric print with red dots. I think it was probably a Christmas fabric but it also works well for the back of this quilt.

The pattern says the finished quilt size is about 70" by 86". I think mine is probably an inch smaller each way because some of my fat quarters were not 21" long. I had to cut my border pieces a little narrower than the pattern called for as a result. I really wanted to get this finished quickly so I just did a meandering pattern for the quilting. I'm pleased with how it turned out!

This will be a charity quilt and has already been promised to the Quilt Angels project. I will send it off after my next guild meeting so that I can take it for Show and Tell.


5 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

Turning Twenty, how i wish I were. I have been planning to making one of those, even brought the book. It has been at least 5 years and still might take me the whole 20 to get to it. Your quilt is most lovely and so is your fabric choise.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your quilt. I've made this pattern before but didn't recognize it with these brilliant solids. It is stunning.

Denise in PA said...

Great quilt! Nice and bright! I'm doing a "Take 5" quilt at my retreat this weekend - great type of quilt to take - not too much thinking involved!

Mama Pea said...

This might be my most favorite Turning 20 quilt ever. I love it. I always mess up this pattern. It is my nemesis. I always cut some of the blocks wrong. haha. This is awesome though. Well done and congratulations on a wonderful finish!

Gene Black said...

This is just amazing. I have made a Turning Twenty. But with the bright solids it really pops and make it look so different. I love the scrappy binding too.
Ha ha, now I think I need to do one in solids.