Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Finished Self Portrait

It has taken me longer than I expected to finish this. I have other sewing related buttons, earrings and an L I was planning to put on the background. I was having trouble settling on a balanced placement for these items and realized that the real problem was that they were distracting. She doesn't need them.

The necklace required some courage, ingenuity and glue.

I cut it in half and used the fatest needle I had to poke holes for the necklace to go through. It took some time and fiddling to get the necklace to go through to the back, but I did it!

I put some glue on the back where the necklace pokes through to the back and then glued the rest of the necklace to the back. The glue dried clear so it is hard to see.

It isn't pretty but it works. I am considering gluing another piece of batting over top to protect the necklace even more. I'm not sure that will be necessary though. This will be mounted to a quilted background by stitching all the way around it right next to the binding. For now she is just hanging on my design wall. In a few days I'll check to see how the glue is holding. If it is loose I'll glue on the extra batting. Otherwise, she is done!


West Michigan Quilter said...

I think you are so right...she is beautiful as is. The other items were distracting. I love your self portrait. The necklace was a nice touch. Thanks for showing how you did it. This is so cute!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Love her.

Mama Pea said...

You got it to work out! Yay! She turned out great! Love her!