Monday, June 24, 2013

Fires and Blocks

The big news in my area is the West Fork Fire. It is now a combination of three fires which have merged. It is 0% contained. The entire town of South Fork has been evacuated since Friday morning. This link with take you to the Denver Post website. Click on the link for the West Fork Fire. I didn't put a link to a specific story because it changes hourly.

These are photos of the smoke from my house on Saturday afternoon.


My house is the one with the red roof. This smoke is north of us but the fire is actually southwest of us, about 60 miles away. We are in no immediate danger, but everyone around here knows someone who has been evacuated or otherwise negatively affected by the fire, including me.


That ball in the middle of the above photo is the sun. About a minute after this was taken the sun completely disappeared behind the smoke.

Every hotel/motel in town is full as is the KOA campground outside of town and even the dorms at our local university. The local middle school has also been opened as a shelter and for folks to shower. I've heard that the Walmart parking lot has become an RV part too, but I haven't been out there to verify. I try to avoid Walmart whenever possible and this seems like an extra reason to stay away.

Instead, I have been making blocks. I'm trying to finish up the Curve It Up QAL. Below are blocks 5, 6 and 7.


I could have finished block 8 too if I didn't have to rip and resew half of block 6! I kept inadvertently turning the blocks before sewing them together. Sheesh!

So now I'm over half way done since there are 12 blocks in the quilt. There is also a really cool pieced sashing that I'd like to try. Jenny is starting another quilt along next week that I'd like to do too. I'd really like to have this one done before starting another! It won't get completely finished by next week, but maybe I can get all the blocks done.


5 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Oh, geeze, Lynn - I'm keeping you in my prayers! Your blocks are beautiful! Hugs

sew.darn.quilt said...

Love to see the blocks, they're beautiful! Hate to see and read about yet another disaster!
Keep Safe.

merinz said...

OH my goodness that fire is way too close! I feel so sad for the people whose houses ae in line with the fire.

I love the curved blocks.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Oh, no, I didn't realize you were so close to the fire. My heart and prayers are with you. I love your blocks and the fabrics you have chosen. I really want to get that ruler, but hesitate because my skills are lacking. Stay safe.

Mama Pea said...

Amazing, Lynn. That fire is close and sending you a lot of smoke. I bet the air quality just stinks (no pun intended). Hope you stay safe. You are doing a great job on those blocks!