Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fancying Up a Notebook

I'm trying to get some gifts made. This one will be given away to its recipient next week.


I just love this Wrenly print!

I used my own tutorial/pattern which can be found here. You can also click on the Tutorials tab at the top of this blog, then click on Notebook Cover Tutorial. Instead of piecing the cover from a bunch of 2.5" squares, I cut an 8.5" by 10.5" piece of the Wrenly bird print and another 8.5" by 10.5" piece of a coordinating print for the back of the cover.


I used the same green print for the lining and side flaps. For this one I also added a bookmark, a "This Book Belongs To:" tag on the front flap, and little tag with my initials and the year on the back flap.


I learned that tying a knot in the bookmark takes up more cording than I thought it would. Next time I will cut it longer and then cut it down if necessary so I don't have to struggle to get it the right length!

Add an inexpensive composition notebook ....


and I think it makes a nice gift!


I plan to add a nice pen to complete the gift.


5 comments:

Barb said...

I love your notebook cover....

West Michigan Quilter said...

That notebook cover is darling. I love blue birds!

Mama Pea said...

That's fantastic. I love that print, and I love the additions you made (the bookplate and the page marker. Well done. I'll have to try that with a solid piece of fabric sometime!

quilthexle said...

Super sweet ! love the bird fabric and how you placed the blue bird - lucky one who gets this notebook !

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Bee Craft Inspirations, under the Page 2 post on Sep. 05, 2012. Thanks again.