Monday, June 2, 2014

Put a Bird on It

I finished the quilt made from the blocks my mom sent me.


Click here to see the top prior to quilting and read my first post about this quilt.

The quilt finished at 45" by 57". It is simply quilted with an all over meander and will be donated to my local oncology department at the hospital.

There is a story behind the title of this post - "Put a Bird on It."


There are actually four birds on the quilt. (If you look closely at the first photo in this post I bet you will be able to spot them all.) I was about a third of the way through quilting this when I ran across a hole in the white background fabric where you see a bird in the photo above. It looked like a rotary cutter accidentally sliced the white fabric. I don't know if I did this or if my mom did it before she sent me the blocks. Either way, it didn't really matter how it happened, I had to fix it. I didn't want to rip out all the quilting I had already done so I put a pin over the hole and kept quilting.

I knew I would need to applique something over the hole, but what shape? Then I remembered that we had these cute bird AccuQuilt dies at my LQS. I took some pre-fused fabric to work with me on Friday and cut out a few birds. I ended up putting four birds on the quilt. This demonstrates one of my general design rules, "If you make a mistake do it intentionally a few more times, then it becomes a design choice instead of a mistake." So the first bird, the one pictured above, is covering the hole. The rest are "a design choice," LOL!

The quilt has been washed and is all ready to be donated later this month.


2 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

How cute! I love your little birds. What a great and creative idea! I'll have to remember that!

Mama Pea said...

What a great design choice. They are perfect and add just the right touch to the quilt. Bob Ross....happy accident. LOVE IT!