Monday, December 1, 2014

Globetrotting Top Finished

With mom's help, I managed to beat the end of November deadline and get the top done. She cut a bunch of 2.5" squares for me and kept me company in my sewing room. I'll show you more of what we did last week throughout this week.

Here is my finished Globetrotting top.

It was even warm enough to get a picture of the completed top outside.

I added an extra sashing strip and a row of four patches to two sides to make the quilt rectangular since that makes it a better size for a Quilt of Valor. For the outer border I had to make do with various reds since I was working from a bag of gifted scraps for this quilt. I think it turned out okay. You probably didn't notice, but I switched out the background fabric for one of the blocks. I used a white fabric for it originally but I used more off-white and creams for all the other blocks. It stood out too much from the rest so mom ripped it apart for me so I could replace the white with a cream fabric.

This is a free pattern by Pat Sloan. Click here to go to the pattern page. Pat is getting ready to release another free mystery BOM for 2015. If you don't get her newsletter or follow her blog, you should. You can sign up for the newsletter from her blog. Click here to go to Pat's blog.

1 comment:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Oh, my, your quilt is stunning. You are so lucky to have your mom there to help you and give you support. I'm afraid I'd give up with all that piecing. What a beautiful QOV. Thanks for the link.