Saturday, March 27, 2010

Painted Hibiscus


My first Paintstik project is finished. I bought myself a set of Paintstiks for my birthday and painted this that afternoon. I made a stencil using freezer paper and used the silver, a blue and a green to paint this on a piece of turquoise hand dyed fabric. The silver turned out more gray than I was hoping. Maybe the background is too dark or there isn't enough contrast. After painting it and letting it cure, I didn't know what I wanted to do next. So I did nothing for several weeks. In the end, I just hand stitched around the flower and leaves then echo quilted the design. I used one strand of DMC floss for the stitching. It turned out alright for a first project. I have a few ideas of things I'd like to try next. Not sure when I will get a chance to play with the Paintstiks again, but I'll post photos when I do.

2 comments:

Stephanie in Michigan said...

I like it. I admire your ability to do the hand stitching. It looks really great. I really need to learn that skill! Stephanie in Michigan

Lynn Weathers said...

Thanks. I'm really not very good. I was working on this project at the last meeting of my guild. One of our very fine hand quilters looked at my project and said, "oh, you are just doing utility stitching." I just said yes. I didn't want to tell her that this is the best hand quilting I can do right now. I actually prefer the bigger stitches anyway.