Monday, November 15, 2010

Green Grocery Bag Challenge

You may have noticed the button on the right hand side of my blog about the Green Grocery Bag Challenge. This is challenge by Sew Mama Sew to reduce paper waste this holiday season. They are encouraging people to make reusable bags, specifically grocery bags but I think any reusable bag is fine, and "wrap" their gifts in these this year. They have a Facebook page on which people are posting tutorials.

I posted my own tutorial here on my blog in June for my gift bag pattern. My family has been using these bags for a couple years now. I still use a little tissue paper and have a stash of paper gift bags we have received that I saved. Mainly I use the paper gift bags when I give a gift to someone who would probably just throw a fabric one away too. I also have some holiday tins that I use as wrapping for food items.

Before you go out and buy a bunch of wrapping paper that is going to be thrown away, think! Wrapping gifts in recycled paper gift bags or reusable fabric bags is much easier and faster than using paper. It's a time saver and landfill saver. It is easier for the recipient to feel the items in the fabric bags so you have to be creative if this may be a problem for you. I have wrapped items in hand towels before putting them in the bag. Wadding up newspaper and surrounding your gift with it makes the bag look nice and full and pads the gift so it's harder to feel it through the bag. As a last resort, you can throw in some jingle bells as an alarm that snooping is occurring!

No comments: