Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Final Countdown - Second Task

Prairie Moon Quilts is having a 2010 Final Countdown to get ready for 2011. Today is the first day I have been in my sewing room in over 2 weeks, other than to grab something quick or deposit something on a flat surface. As a result, my sewing room has gotten pretty messy. So the second task seemed appropriate for today. It is to clean off a flat surface. You only had to do one, but did two because they both really needed it.

cutting table before

cutting table after

 ironing table before

ironing table after

That black and blue pile of fabric is my husband's academic regalia (graduation gown). Adams State College requires all faculty to attend both Fall and Spring graduation ceremonies in full regalia. He wore it a few weeks ago and some how tore the lining from the sleeve in one place. It was waiting to be mended, which was my first task this morning to get things cleaned up. See, I didn't just move everything and take a picture of a clean surface. I really dealt with each item in whatever way was appropriate. I left the pile of fabrics on my cutting table because they are going to turn into bags. I started making up some bags before I got sick but only got one done and a few pieces cut out for others. These are on my list for this weekend, which brings me to some exciting news.

I'm home alone until Monday!!!! The husband took the boy to visit relatives and do some skiing for the weekend before the boy must return to school on Tuesday. So ... finally ... I get some time to sew. I have a list of things I'd like to do which is longer than is practical, so I'll just be showing you what I actually accomplish. So far I have done the above cleaning, I've mended the gown, I've got the binding, sleeve and label ready for hand sewing on the nine patch strata and I've got my machine cleaned and ready to continue quilting a wall hanging I was working on before the holidays began. My refrigerator and pantry are stocked with meals and snacks so I'm set!

3 comments:

Deanna said...

Ooooo! Ahhhh! Your room looks great! Enjoy.

Mama Pea said...

Looking good, Lynn! I saw your comment on my blog that you got your cutting table clean. Way to go. I didn't realize your husband was a professor, too. In what?

I'm so excited for you that you have some time alone for sewing. What a treat before the semester gets started. I am going up to Grand Rapids tomorrow to go to a quilt store's sale and to meet one of my blogging friends, whom I've never met before. I got the Super Mario quilt laid out on my living room floor! Maybe by the end of the night Sunday I'll have it put together. :-)

Happy sewing this weekend! By the way, your new background and color scheme on the blog is really soothing. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Way to go! What a difference. I love that the cat is a fixture on the cutting table!