Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Class with David Taylor

Over the weekend I took a one day class from David Taylor. Click the link to go to his website and see his stunning pictorial quilts. He brought several with him and they are even more impressive up close.

The class was on his method of machine applique. On his prize winning quilts he does hand applique, but he started out doing machine applique. I was able to finish the project in the class.


The pattern isn't my favorite and several folks didn't take the class because they didn't like the project. However, I don't usually take classes for the project. I take classes to learn a technique. And David is a great teacher. The class was so much fun! I learned a lot and now have the confidence to tackle machine applique, should the need arise.

If you get a chance to take a class from David, even if you aren't thrilled with the class project, do it. The pattern above was specifically designed as a teaching project. You get to practice all of his various techniques in one project with only 18 pieces which makes it realistic to finish during a day long class.


3 comments:

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Wow--I love the design, but I am a huge fan of picnics which explains my adoration. Awesome job!

Salmagundi said...

His quilts are spectacular! I've often thought about traveling across Colorado to take one of his classes just to absorb a tiny bit of his talent. Glad you had the opportunity. Sally

West Michigan Quilter said...

Wow, he is a true artist. How lucky you are to take his class. I love the picnic picture!