Monday, February 22, 2010

Top Done

I finished the top yesterday. I was a bad parent and let my child watch more TV than I normally do on a Sunday in order to get this finished. My husband has been skiing several weekends in a row. The weekend before last he left Friday afternoon about 2:30 and didn't get home until 11 pm Sunday night, then was no help on Monday (it was a holiday so no school/work for either of my boys). This past weekend he only went on Sunday but he is also planning another trip this weekend. With all this skiing, I feel like a "ski widow!" I don't really have much room to complain. He can only ski a few months of the year and he loves it. I can quilt all year and it doesn't matter what the weather is like. But all this skiing is cutting into my weekend quilting time. Between the two classes I'm teaching on campus (the ALEKS courses), the one I'm doing for Extended Studies, then I'm going to be President of my PEO chapter starting next month for two years, and all the cooking, cleaning, laundry and shopping/errands I have to do ... This skiing is really cutting into my sewing time. If I have to allow my child to watch a bit more TV occasionally so that I can sew and retain my sanity, so be it.

Back to the quilt: I got the backing pieced this morning. It is just a tad too wide to fit on the width of the fabric. The center panel comes as yardage and on the yardage there is a red and black checker board border running down both sides. This is not used in the pattern so I just cut the backing fabric (black, white and red dog print) down the middle and inserted the checker board strip to make it wide enough. I think it's pretty cute and more interesting than just a single piece of fabric back.

On the baby stuff front: I sold the crib today and the toddler safety bed rail. My friend is going to ask her daughter if she wants a few of my other items and get back with me later this week. I hope to find all the baby stuff new homes within a couple of weeks.

No comments: