Saturday, June 5, 2010

Bunny and Bear Charity Quilt


I like using panels for charity quilts. There are lots of really cute ones out there. Just put a border on the panel (or not depending on the size), find a backing, baste your three layers together and quilt it. I like to use charity quilts as practice for my machine quilting. I get some good practice on something I don't have a lot of time or money invested in and it is useful too. Many people I know have trouble just "wasting" fabric practicing machine quilting or some other skill. I am slowly getting to the point where I don't see this practice as wasteful, but rather an investment in myself to improve my craft. However, I still get more enjoyment out of making something I know will be truly used.


The quilting I did was fairly simple. I did straight lines with my walking foot on either side of the squares sashing and on either side of the yellow inner border. I outlined each bear and bunny. Then I used a variation of one of Leah Day's designs for the border. The border is more densely quilted than the center of the quilt so I may go back an add a little more quilting to the inside, but maybe not.

I still need to put the binding on my king size mystery quilt, which I got back from my long arm quilter, Peg, last week. I also need to quilt Parker's Cub Scout quilt. After these, I think I'll be done with big quilts for a little while.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Great idea for charity quilts! My pet peeve is people who suggest donating "ugly fabric" or "ugly quilts" to charity. Why shouldn't people getting donated goods have something pretty? Your panel quilts are adorable! Great way to practice your skills while making something wonderful for someone to cherish. I'm giving you a "standing o" right now, LOL.

Lynn said...

Thanks Sandy. I couldn't agree with you more! I actually had someone in my guild tell me that they thought one of my charity quilts was too good to give to charity. I was so stunned that I didn't know what to say. I'm really not sure what I said in response.

My basic attitude toward charity quilts is that I don't want to spend a whole lot but the workmanship needs to be as good as if I were giving it as a gift to a family member or friend. I scour the sale tables at fabric stores for charity fabrics and keep them separate from my regular stash. My guild supplies the batting which helps a lot.

Deanna said...

In fact, charity items probably need to be higher quality. If people have "means" they can always go get another one, right? But, if this is the ONLY one someone has, it needs to last and be as attractive as possible in a life that is likely otherwise grey and hard.

Stephanie in Michigan said...

Lookin' good! I like your idea of panels for charity quilts, too. I agree with Sandy...I don't like the idea of "ugly" for charity quilts (or whatever you want to call them). I think charity quilts should still be beautiful and something the recipient should love to have. Otherwise, it isn't really a gift from the heart. I have heard people say things about a quilt being too good to give to charity, too, and I also found such comments remarkable. Kudos to you for always finding such a nice pattern/design/etc. for your charity quilts. I'm doing the "standing o" with Sandy.