Monday, June 28, 2010

Quilting Dilemma


So I bought a bunch of thread, all colors matching the large solid rectangles, and I started quilting the rectangles.


I decided to alternate the direction of the lines to go along with the orientation of the appliqued smaller rectangle using a thread color that matches the background rectangle, but I don't think I like this ... sigh.

I'm not sure exactly why I'm not liking this but here are some theories: (1) It's too predictable. (2) I have to mark the lines so that they will be straight. (3) Sewing straight lines shows off every little place where the applique or block is not straight or square.

At this point I've only quilted one and a half rectangles, in addition to quilting in the ditch around all the sashing and borders which I do like. Well, actually it doesn't really show. It is just the "keep things as square and straight as possible" type quilting that is more related to good construction than aesthetics.  It wouldn't take very long to remove the stitching on one and a half rectangles at this point. But maybe if I just persevere it will get better. I don't know. I'm going to have lunch and think about it.

4 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

That is exactly why I switched quickly from traditional quilting to art quilting...no straight lines required.

Barb said...

I think you just need to keep at it....

do you have one of those metal guides where you don't have to mark your lines?

Stephanie in Michigan said...

Hmmmm...sometimes I know people like to do a lot of curved quilting on a piece with so many straight lines. They say the curved lines juxtaposed against the straight makes for something more pleasing to the eye. I don't know. I am not skilled at picking quilt patterns yet. It is a skill I am trying to develop.

I like all the circles on that piece of fabric embedded in the blue rectangle. A quilting friend told me she takes her quilting ideas/themes from the fabric in the quilt. What if you made interlocking circles all over the quilt? Or pick some other motif from your small rectangles and do it all over the quilt?

Those are my initial thoughts as I look at it. Maybe you just need to break up the "angular-ness" of it all...

Melissa ;-) said...

I like it. It is predictable but maybe that is what I like as I find it relaxing rather than "exciting". I think it it has a modern feel that calls for straight lines.