Wednesday, June 2, 2010

New Herb Garden


My dad built this little garden space for me just outside our playroom (the original garage for the house) patio door. He wedged it into the space between the two concrete parts of the driveway. This space is really just a weed magnet anyway. I've planted basil, parsley, cilantro, oregano, chives, rosemary and the bean seeds Parker brought home from school. The bricks are holding down the deer netting that covers the garden. It is stapled to the frame everywhere else but this side is my access to the plants. We've had a few deer come by already and they have left it alone. I wish I could say the same for the marigolds we planted in our pots in the front. The "bad squirrel" is up to his old tricks and digging in one of the pots already. Grrrr!

2 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

Those darn squirrels! A few years ago they dug up the bulbs in my flower bed and replanted them in the yard. I spent that spring waiting for them to sprout and bloom so I could find them and dig them up again before my husband mowed the lawn!

Deanna said...

Herb gardens are very rewarding. Rosemary won't winter over where you are, but it is easy to take a cutting, keep it over the winter, and replant in the spring. If you want to know how, I'll be glad to share. That is how I do it here in Utah (also high, cold desert, but not as much).