Saturday, May 22, 2010

More baking

The first attempt at baking a ball cake was a flop. We baked it for the length of time recommended for a bundt cake.

The center was like runny pudding.

The second attempt we reduced the oven temperature from 350 degrees to 325 and baked the cakes for 45 minutes then I put little aluminum foil rings around the edges to try to keep them from drying out while we continued cooking them for another 25 minutes. Wow! It took 1 hour and 20 minutes for the cake to cook.

But it didn't burn and tasted great! My husband frosted it and used a large marshmallow cut in half for the center button. Here is what the finished cake looked like.

There was only one small piece left. We had eight 8 year olds come to the party, including the birthday kids. A good time was had by all but the parents are now exhausted.


Melissa said...

That is so cute! My son would have loved that. Heck, he's 19 and he would still love that!

Deanna said...

That's a great looking cake--I can see why there was nearly none left. And, thanks for the cooking time tip.

Barb said...

What a fun cake!!

Stephanie in Michigan said...

That's great! I used to have one of these cake pans, because I was going to make a bowling ball cake (for our bowling group). I never got it made, and so when we moved from Ohio to Idaho, I sold it in the garage sale. Now, we're going to have a party with friends to watch the Big Lebowski (our favorite movie, especially because of the bowling theme). I want to make the bowling ball cake now, and I cannot find one of these pans at JoAnns. Am going to have to look elsewhere. Thanks for the tips on making it!