Saturday, May 22, 2010

More baking

The first attempt at baking a ball cake was a flop. We baked it for the length of time recommended for a bundt cake.


The center was like runny pudding.

The second attempt we reduced the oven temperature from 350 degrees to 325 and baked the cakes for 45 minutes then I put little aluminum foil rings around the edges to try to keep them from drying out while we continued cooking them for another 25 minutes. Wow! It took 1 hour and 20 minutes for the cake to cook.


But it didn't burn and tasted great! My husband frosted it and used a large marshmallow cut in half for the center button. Here is what the finished cake looked like.


There was only one small piece left. We had eight 8 year olds come to the party, including the birthday kids. A good time was had by all but the parents are now exhausted.

4 comments:

Melissa ;-) said...

That is so cute! My son would have loved that. Heck, he's 19 and he would still love that!

Deanna said...

That's a great looking cake--I can see why there was nearly none left. And, thanks for the cooking time tip.

Barb said...

What a fun cake!!

Stephanie in Michigan said...

That's great! I used to have one of these cake pans, because I was going to make a bowling ball cake (for our bowling group). I never got it made, and so when we moved from Ohio to Idaho, I sold it in the garage sale. Now, we're going to have a party with friends to watch the Big Lebowski (our favorite movie, especially because of the bowling theme). I want to make the bowling ball cake now, and I cannot find one of these pans at JoAnns. Am going to have to look elsewhere. Thanks for the tips on making it!