Tuesday, August 3, 2010

New Light and Tote

After many months of wanting a bendable bright light and reading about how great others said theirs was, I bought one for myself. I have not had a chance to sew with it yet but it is now installed. Wow! What a difference between the regular machine light and this one!


I also took some pictures of the second Pick A Pocket Purse I made with longer handles and inside pockets.


For the longer handles, I cut them 4" by the width of the fabric instead of the 4" by 34 1/2" called for in the pattern.


For the inside pockets, I cut two pieces of the outside pocket fabric 7" by 14". Fold these in half, right sides together, to form a 7" square. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, start at the fold and sew around three sides to the other fold, leaving a 2" hole for turning along one side (doesn't matter which side, just in the middle of a side). Trim the corners and turn it right side out, press. Before you sew the two halves of the bag together attach the pockets on the lining part. I tried to center them on the handles and about 1" down from the top of the bag. I just top-stitched them in place along the two sides and the bottom.

4 comments:

Sandy H said...

Welcome to the world of "I Can Finally See What I'm Doing!" I'm sure you'll love your light as much as I love mine. I also just had to dismantle mine to take my machines in for their annual cleaning while I was away--not hard to do, although I'll need to replace some sticky pads. I keep those things in stock, though, since I use them all over the house, so easily done. Love the tote, btw. Nicely done!

Barb said...

I love my light...

cute tote!

Stephanie in Michigan said...

I have looked at those lights time and time again. I don't know why I keep resisting them. I do sew with an OTT light next to my machine, so maybe that's why. Let me know what you think about it. The second tote turned out really cute! Good gift to tuck away. I think a lot of people would like it. Good choice on fabrics.

KaHolly said...

Love it!! Now I"M going to find one and attach it to my machine. I'll bet it makes a big, big difference! ~karen