Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A Finish :: Modern French General

It's done! I'm glad I had the presence of mind to purchase enough extra of the charcoal gray for the binding and kept it with the completed top for two years.


Here is a detail shot of the quilting.


The pattern is Urban Birthday by Jenny Pedigo of Sew Kind of Wonderful. The pattern uses her Quick Curve Ruler which is really fun to use.

The finished quilt size is 58" by 77". I used a layer cake of one of the French General fabric lines (I don't remember which one and didn't write it down) along with a charcoal gray fabric. I quilted it myself on my Handi Quilter Sweet 16. I used two different colors of Signature 40 wt. 100% cotton thread, Rail Grey and Persian Red. The quilting design is my own and isn't perfect because I didn't mark anything or use any rulers or stencils. It's all hand guided, no computer or stitch regulator.

I'm still working on getting the sleeve hand sewn to the back. Hopefully it will hang in my guild quilt show in June. After that I don't know what will become of it. I made it as a class sample and to sell patterns and Quick Curve Rulers. The fabric isn't even my style. I only used it because we had several of these layer cakes and my LQS owner asked me to use one of the layer cakes to "make something." However, I do really like the finished quilt even though the fabric isn't my style.


2 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Congratulations on a fantastic finish. Your quilt is stunning! Your quilting is awesome! Wish I could touch you; maybe some of that talent would rub off.

Mama Pea said...

You are fricking amazing. I love this. Great quilting, great fabrics, great finish. I do not know how you get so much done!!!