Thursday, July 23, 2015

A New FMQ Book for Me

Earlier this week I purchased a new free-motion quilting book.


I own one of Christina's Craftsy classes. I like it so much that I decided to purchase the above book. Check out the index of all the various designs in the book.


I tried out "Mettle" from page 80 on a project. Here is what it looks like from the back.


I love this book! As the title says, she shows you step-by-step how to create the designs. Many of them require no marking but a few require minimal marking. The design above for example requires you to mark the bottom points for the "humps" of the first row. This is all the marking that is required as the rest of the design is based upon the previous row of stitching. However, I didn't mark mine. I used the piecing lines as my marks and it worked just fine, but I like a more "organic" look to my quilting as opposed to precision perfect quilting. With more marking I could have been more precision perfect.

In the first few pages of the book she details each of the nine basic shapes referred to on the cover. After that, the next few pages discuss various types of design (nestled, branching, edge-to-edge, etc.), how they work along with samples and page numbers of designs from the book that are of each type.

The majority of the book is laid out so that on the left hand page she shows you step-by-step how to create the design. On the right hand page the design is drawn out to fill the page so you can see what it looks like "stitched out" over a larger area. The list of design names is shown in the second photo above. There are lots! You can mix and match them to create even more designs.

All of the designs can be stitched with either a long-arm machine or a domestic machine.

There is no information about basting or thread, this is a book of designs. If you need the basic information of exactly to how free-motion quilt, then this is not the book for you. If you want a nice, well-written and illustrated book of free-motion quilting designs, then I highly recommend this book!

I plan to get this project finished today so come back tomorrow to see the front side.


Disclaimer: I purchased this book with my own money. I have no affiliation with the publisher or the author, I just really like the book and wanted to share that with you.

3 comments:

Sandy H said...

Thanks for this review--this book hadn't appeared on my radar yet. I'd love to hear what you think about her class; I've done so many FMQ classes on Craftsy that I wasn't planning on doing another soon but if you feel her class was useful to you, I may give it another look!

Barb said...

All I can say is WOW....you did good work on that...maybe I need to get that book. Thanks

Mama Pea said...

I adore Christina. I thought her class was really great, too. I have followed her blog for a long time. I don't have this second book yet. I will have to get it!