Friday, October 15, 2010

Satin Edge Blankies

I have signed up with Jean from the Quilted Cupcake to make some blankets for Project Night Night. I am making what we call boppies (pronounced bop - i ) at our house. My mom has been making these blankets for years and all of her grandchildren have received at least one. When Parker was not yet 2 he corrected me one day, telling me that his was not a "blankie" but a "boppi." You can't argue with a one-year old! So that is what we call them.

Anyway, these are just one yard of flannel with a satin binding. Very easy to make. I cut off the selvedge and just try to make the piece of flannel as close to a true rectangle as possible. Then using one package of satin binding, bind the rectangle of flannel. If you use more than a yard of flannel, you will need more than one package of satin binding. I have made three so far.




If you are interested in joining Jean and me in this endeavor, click on the Project Night Night link above to go directly to Jean's blog for the details of her effort. You can make any blanket or quilt that fits the criteria. You should also listen to Jean's podcast, The Quilted Cupcake, if you don't already. Look for it on iTunes.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

I love Jean's blog and podcasts. I thought about joining in, but haven't had the chance yet. I love your boppies! I never know how you sew that binding on and get good mitered corners. How do you do it? I sort of invent my own way, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.