Friday, September 29, 2017

Updated Rose of Sharon Bag :: A Finish

The new bag is done!

This is side one

And side two

The pattern is written and the kits are being cut.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Melted Cat

I've been working on things but I don't have any photos yet. I've haven't shared a Ms. Spooky Boo photo with you recently so I thought I'd share this one which was taken Sunday afternoon.

She had been napping on the bed all afternoon and moving with the sun! When the nap started she was curled up in a ball, but as the afternoon progressed and the sun warmed her she started sprawling. 

The quilt was a wedding gift from my mom.

Friday, September 22, 2017

For A Friend

As a quilt shop owner I get asked the question fairly often, "Will you make a quilt for me?" My standard answer is, "I'm sorry, no. I sell the supplies to make quilts.  I'd be happy to set up a class for you to teach you how to make a quilt, but I don't make quilts for people." However, occasionally circumstances are such that I say yes. This is one of those times.

To protect her privacy I will not reveal details, but I'm making this for a friend. The fabric is hers purchased years ago from the previous quilt shop in town. She has saved this fabric all this time planning to make herself a quilt with it. The quilt is finally getting made, although by me instead of her. The pattern is an oldie but goodie called Bundle of 10. You need 10 fat quarters for the center plus some sashing and border fabric. I've had the pattern for years but never had the right fabric collection and time to make it. 

There isn't enough fabric left for a backing so I need to pick something from the shop. I'm sure we've got something that will be perfect. There is enough fabric left from the center for a scrappy binding using some of the fabrics from the center. I'm not sure if that is what I want though. If not, I'm sure the perfect binding fabric is also in the shop somewhere.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

New Pattern

I'm making a new bag pattern for the wool applique and hand embroidery class I teach at my shop. Here is what it looks like so far.

The applique on the left hand section is done. I'm just getting started with the applique on the right hand section. Both sections will have lots of hand embroidery added once the applique is done.

When finished it will be lined (I haven't picked lining fabric yet), will have a turquoise zipper at the top that matches the ribbons and will measure about 12" wide by 8" tall by 2" deep.

The plan is to kit this up with everything you'll need to make one and all of the appliques already cut. Hopefully I can get the sample made up by the end of September.

Friday, September 15, 2017

2017 Ornament Testing

I have settled on an ornament design for this year. Here is my test ornament.

This one is two 2" circles of wool with embroidery on both sides. I whipstitched them together with a 1 1/2" circle of Soft & Stable in between then added a hanging loop. I've decided that 2 1/2" circles would be better and plan to add some more wool elements in addition to some embroidery. I've started on my first "real" ornaments but haven't gotten far enough with any of them to photograph them yet.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Unexpected Sewing Time

Two things happened last week that provided me with some unexpected sewing time on Friday morning. 

First, some ladies wanted to take a class that is taught by one of my employees. This employee was not scheduled to work on Friday, but agreed to teach the class to these ladies on Friday since that is what worked best for them. The easiest thing to do was to change the schedule so that the teacher worked on Friday instead of me. So I ended up with an unplanned day away from the store. My plan was to get caught up and ahead on some computer work for the shop.

Second, Thursday afternoon internet access went out for much of Alamosa. Some cable was damaged along the Front Range but it effected us too. We were without internet for almost 24 hours! Which meant that I couldn't do any of the work I had planned to do on Friday morning.

I was frustrated at first, but then quickly realized that this could be a good thing. So ... I sewed all morning!

I made these two Whatcha Got Bags.

The big one in the back is for a gift exchange I'm participating in later this week. The front one will be a Christmas gift.

The internet was restored around noon on Friday and my sewing time ended. It was fun while it lasted!

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Jiffy Jelly Roll Grunge Dots Quilt :: A Finish

I managed to get this one finished!

This was a really fun quilt to make and used up the entire jelly roll. Seriously, I have no scraps left over. Love that!

It makes a nice size too, 48" by 60". For the back I used a Carrie Bloomston print.

It doesn't really "go" with the front but I like this fabric and wanted to use it in something. The label is one of last year's Row by Row license plates from my shop. I've been using these for labels on shop samples.

You can read my previous post about this project by clicking here.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Fat Quarter Project

This will be the project my scrap groups will be working on for the next few months.

It finishes at 37" by 48" which is the perfect size for my guild's quilts for oncology project. All of the fabrics I used in this are from my friend Judy who passed away last year. She had good taste in fabric! This would also have been a project that appealed to her. The pattern calls for scrappy binding cut from the fat quarters used in the top. This is already cut. I also have a piece from Judy that is large enough for the back. So except for the batting, the whole thing is made from Judy's stash! I think she would approve.