Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cover for Bernie

I've been wanting to make a pretty cover for my new Bernina, Bernie, since I got him. Yesterday my friend Susan blogged about making a cover for her machine and posted a link to this tutorial. It was perfect timing! I downloaded the instructions and got right to work. I had a cover made before lunch!


Isn't the fabric cute!! I got a yard of this at Hobby Lobby over the summer when I visited my parents in Alabama. I had no idea what I would do with it, but just couldn't leave without some. It is perfect for Bernie's cover.

What I particularly like about the tutorial is that she gives you a formula so that you can make a cover for any machine. You just have to measure your machine as instructed and plug the numbers into the formula. And the pattern is for a lined cover. I know you can zig zag over raw edges. It will be fine and no one is really ever going to see the inside except me, but I prefer to have all the raw edges hidden.

My fabric is directional so I cut the main piece into two and then pieced them back together. This way on the back the fabric is still right side up. You can see the seam along the top at the back of my machine in the photo below.


The original pattern included pockets on the sides in contrasting fabric. I didn't really want pockets but liked the look of the contrasting fabric on the side. So I used this black with white dots for my side pieces. The lining is just solid black. It looks like binding around the bottom, but it is the lining.

9 comments:

Denise in PA said...

Hi Lynn! Thanks to you and Susan for sharing. I've been needing to make a cover for my machine for ages. I'm booking this and searching my stash for the perfect fabrics!

West Michigan Quilter said...

That is so cute! I've been wanting to make one of those, but just haven't gotten around to it. I can see why you had to have some of that fabric. I love it! Maybe if it keeps snowing I'll find time this week to make a cover too.

yorkie mom said...

I love that fabric! I just saw it at Hobby Lobby too and wondered what I could make with it! Thanks for the inspiration.

Mama Pea said...

It turned out fantastic, and I love the fabric so much! Just awesome! I already have a cover out of wool, but one of these days, I may have to make myself a new, more cheery one!

Rosa said...

This is very cute.
This year I want to sew one.Thanks for the link.

Deanna said...

Bernie looks very cosy.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

It's beautiful, Lynn. I love your fabric. Just perfect. I agree about the pocket. I don't think I'll include a pocket on mine either.

Anonymous said...

Love "Bernie's" cover! I haven't sewed in years ... almost makes me want to sew!! but not quite! That Susan is something else, isn't she? Haven't conquered the blog thing just yet ... so here are.....
Pink Hugs,
Dee

Pink-a-Palooza said...

Wowzers! That is so cute and looks like a perfect fit! Yay you!