Sunday, September 12, 2010

Gift Making

I've been in gift making mode lately. Yesterday I made a pillowcase for charity.


I plan to make a couple for Christmas gifts but the patterns I have don't have concealed raw edges (french seams) inside the case. I hate all the raveling that will occur when it is washed if the raw edged aren't concealed. So I did a little online search and found a great tutorial on how to use essentially the same pattern I had, but do it with all concealed raw edges. You can find that tutorial here.

I am also making some tote bags from old jeans. I saw a pattern for sale in a catalog using old jeans and I thought to myself that I could figure out how to do that with my own favorite tote bag pattern. My favorite pattern is by Valori Wells called the grocery tote.

I am using pre-made webbing handles for these. Here is one side of the tote I made.


This is the other side of the same bag.


I made the lining using this fabric.


I thought these totes would be a bite more gender neutral. Hopefully guys won't mind using these to bring home their groceries. I'm planning to give them to a family in which the husband does most of the grocery shopping.

2 comments:

Barb said...

The pillowcase is adorable and love the tote

Mama Pea said...

Great pillowcase and tote. I am thinking of grocery bags for our secretaries at work this year. I should follow your lead and get started on them now so I actually have time to follow through on that this year (it's what I was going to make last year, too..."going to" being the key words!).