Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Flowers

My art group is doing 12" by 12" projects this year on a theme. I put a bunch of words on slips of paper and we draw a new one every month or so. The latest theme is "flowers."

I decided that these projects are an excellent opportunity to try something new. For this one I tried out some new-to-me paints and carved my own stamps. Here are my supplies:


I carved a leaf shape out of an eraser (the white block on top of the paints) and a petal shape from a carving block (the beige block below the paints). I used a Speedball linoleum cutter to carve the shapes. Both the eraser and the carving block were very easy to carve with my Speedball cutters. I also used a purchased swirl stamp and some little foam stencil brushes.

Here is my painted/stamped piece:


The paint didn't turn out as dark as I would have liked. I don't know if it was because of the green background fabric or because I didn't use enough paint or what. Oh well! After the paint cures I'll add some quilting. This paint didn't make the fabric stiff or anything. I really like that! And once you heat set the paint, it is washable and dry cleanable. So it would be good for clothing or even a quilt you would want to wash.


4 comments:

Rosa said...

Beautiful.You`re an artist!!

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love your flowers. I don't think they should be any darker, they are so soft and warm just as they are. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Vivian said...

Small projects are definitely a great time to try something new. I agree. I like the shade and intensity of your flowers as they are. What fun you will have adding quilting.

Mama Pea said...

You tried some things I've always wanted to try, like carving my own stamps, but haven't had the guts to try yet. We were talking about the Dyna-flow paints/inks tonight in my art quilt group meeting. One person said they are fabric paints that are akin to watercolors for paper. So, I think they probably did what they were supposed to do....be "watery" and not intense. Just a thought!