Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Unexpected Surprise!

I've been making pin cushions and thread catchers for the little ready-made gift section we are trying out at my LQS, Heartstrings and Heirlooms. On Monday afternoon I cut out the thread catchers but needed my calculator to check to see which way I needed to cut my fat quarters. The calculator is in this drawer of my cutting table.

Cutting table drawer
I opened the drawer and reached inside for the calculator AND SOMETHING INSIDE THE DRAWER MOVED!

Spooky in the drawer!
Can you see the cat eye and the paw reaching out to grab me? Oh my! I jumped and screamed. Definitely was not expecting to find a cat in the drawer!! My son told me that she was getting into the drawer but I didn't believe him until Monday. After getting down on my hands and knees and looking underneath the cutting table I could see how she got in there. There is quite a bit of room between the top of the drawer and the underneath side of the table top. She just climbed in from the back. Do you believe that she slept in this drawer for about an hour after I took the picture. Crazy cat! She is definitely feeling better after her recent surgery.

On to the projects. First I made a few more Cathedral Window Pin Cushions. Click the link for the tutorial.


Then I made six thread catchers using some Good Fortune.


We aren't sure how the ready-made items will sell so I don't want to make a whole bunch right now. We will also have some knit ruffle scarves (see sample photos here) and maybe a few other things. We've had a lot of people ask to buy completed scarves in the last month so I think those may sell well. A few folks have asked for pin cushions and we've sold a couple of the samples I made already. We've also had requests for aprons, but I will let someone else make those. I only plan to make a few things and only things I enjoy making.


5 comments:

Jo C. said...

Omg...i would have jumped out of my skin! What a cute trick!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Oh, my, I bet you were scared to death! Cats are so funny (once the shock is over). Don't you wonder why they do what they do? Love your pincushions. Thanks for the link.

Denise in PA said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad my Lilly can't get in any drawers - LOL!

Unknown said...

I would totally buy some of those ready-mades for my quilting friends...I bet they will sell like hotcakes!

Mama Pea said...

Oh, my gosh! I would have screamed, too! Wow! My grandpa always had a little bookshelf next to his easy chair. There were some drawers built into the bookshelf, just above the shelves. He used to keep his playing cards, etc. in there. He always used to tell us kids that a little mouse lived in there. He would open the drawer and close it really fast, saying, "Ooop! There he is! Did you see him? I have to close the drawer fast, so he doesn't get out!" That was always a favorite game. Your story reminded me of it. That is too funny.

I really love those pincushions. I need to make one one of these days!