Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Retreat Preparation Project

A couple retreats ago I decided that I needed an iron cozy for my iron. Something I could put a warm iron in and not worry about scorching it or setting it on fire. The night before the retreat I whipped together this sad looking item.


It's just a rectangle of pre-quilted ironing board cover I had left over from something. I took a rectangle that was a little wider than the height of the iron when it is sitting on it soleplate and twice as long as it is tall when sitting upright. Then I folded it in half and sewed one long seam and the short seam. I then slapped my iron inside and called it good. I intended to make a nicer version when I got back from the retreat. That didn't happen until this past weekend.


Essentially I just made an outer cover for the cozy I had been using and added some ties. It's not perfect. It would have been much easier to start over from scratch, but I couldn't find any more of the pre-quilted ironing board cover fabric. I'm pretty sure I have more, I just couldn't find it. This will do for now and looks much better than it did.

Previously, I never took my iron cozy out of my bag. I didn't want anyone to see it because it was so ugly - functional, but ugly. Now I can take it out of my bag.


2 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

LOL That first one is a sight! We all have to make do sometimes. But I love the second one. Great idea. Love the fabric too.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

Where is your retreat? I am going on one his weekend and was wondering if it is the same one!