Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Trying Out a New Ruler

 I recently came across a new-to-me ruler: Cat's Cradle Tool from Creative Grids.

original size Cat's cradle ruler
This is the original size and it makes units that finish from 1.5" to 4". There is a larger size too that makes units that finish from 4.5" to 8". I don't have the larger one yet, but I've ordered it!

large size Cat's Cradle ruler

What can you do with this tool you may wonder? Well, it makes these units.

unit made using the Cat's Cradle tool


I have always struggled with these units. I don't have the patience to cut triangles (which always have at least one bias edge) and sew them accurately to anything. With this tool you don't have to do that. AND, plenty of wiggle room is built into the cutting sizes so that you can square up your unit at the end and it's perfect! I had a little bundle of older Kim Diehl fabrics that I am using up with this tool. My plan is to make a bunch of these 4" finished size units then set them on point with 4" finished sized squares for a charity quilt.



No comments: