Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Want to join me in a Sew Along?

 I am doing a Sew Along at my shop and on Facebook the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving, November 25 & 26, 2022. Anyone, anywhere can participate. You just need to join the Facebook group, "Alamosa Quilt Company Sew Along Group". All you need to do is search for the group on Facebook and ask to join. If you want to come sew at the shop you do need to reserve your spot ahead of time. There is no charge to come sew at the shop for this, but I don't have unlimited seating so reserve your spot as soon as you can.

You don't NEED to participate live. You can just join the group, see what's up and sew when you can. The videos and posts will be available in the Facebook group as long as I leave it active. At this point, I don't have any plans to close the group. It's free to join the group and participate in the Sew Along. There is no kit or pattern to purchase.

The first project we will do is a great scrap buster. It's a mystery project so I can't share any photos with you yet. There are no specific fabric requirements I can give you because it's a scrap project. There is no "background" fabric for this block. It's all scraps. What I can tell you is that you will need thirty-two 2" by 3.5" rectangles per block. You can make just one block to try out the concept, or 3-4 blocks for a table runner, 12 blocks would make a nice baby quilt, 20 blocks makes a great lap quilt or do as many blocks as you like. The blocks will finish at 12" by 12".

I will give you a couple of setting and finishing options on Saturday, November 26, 2022. You might need yardage for sashing, borders, binding and, of course, the backing. How much will depend on how many blocks you make.

This is a beginner friendly project. You just need to be able to cut 2" by 3.5" rectangles and sew a 1/4" seam allowance. There are no specialty rulers or fancy techniques required for this project.

The first clue will be released in the Facebook group around 10 am Mountain Time (USA) with the other clues following every hour or so until I close at 5 pm Mountain Time. We'll start back up on Saturday around 10 am. I close at 3pm on Saturdays so the last clue will be given before then.

I want to start offering more hybrid and virtual events and classes. I am using this Sew Along as a test for me to learn how to do this. I doubt everything will go smoothly because technology always seems to have some sort of snag to it. I will do my best, but like I said, I'm learning.

So if you are interested in participating, go to Facebook and search for the group, "Alamosa Quilt Company Sew Along Group." I understand that not everyone uses Facebook. I do have plans to use other platforms too, but one thing at a time! Facebook makes this kind of thing pretty easy for me so I am starting with it.



No comments: