Friday, April 15, 2011

12 x 12 Mini Quilt Swap

I made no progress on my UFO's this week. Continue reading to learn why.

I have been a follower of the 15 minutes play blog for a while. Recently Victoria proposed a group swap and I signed up. This week I have spent all of my sewing time playing with scraps for this swap.

The basic idea for the swap is to create a 12" by 12" mini quilt using only scraps. In December my guild had a scrap bag exchange. I was unable to attend the December meeting but was generously gifted a bag of scraps from one of our members who brought 6 grocery bags full of scraps for the exchange.

Over the weekend my son helped me sort the scraps. He ironed almost every piece in the bag! Here is the pile I used for my project.


Goldie held down the rest of the scraps and kept them in line while I sewed.


The still partially full grocery sack is next to Goldie on the ironing table. This bag was stuffed full of goodies!! There were lots of Asian prints so I pulled out some of these and started playing.


I made the flying geese unit and the log cabin unit. The other three were already pieced and just in the bag. They must not have worked out for whatever project my friend was using these Asian prints for. I just started playing and this is what I came up with.


Since this picture was taken I have quilted it, got the label sewn on and the binding sewn to the front. I am in the process of hand sewing the binding to the back. It will be ready to be mailed off to my swap partner next week.

5 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What fun! Your miniquilt is beautiful.

Deanna said...

So detailed! It is hard to keep in mind how small it really is.

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love your wall hanging. I bet you had a lot of fun making this. What a great idea!

Robin said...

What a great little quilt. And, what a fun idea for a swap. I wonder if my quilt group is up for a small quilt exchange.......

Mama Pea said...

Looks really neat, Lynn! I have been checking out that blog but haven't joined in. No time. But it looks fun! I hope to see more.