Sunday, April 17, 2011

Birds of a Feather Challenge

Back in January I mentioned that my guild does a Challenge every year. The challenge is given at the January meeting and revealed at the April meeting. This year's challenge was "birds of a feather" and yesterday was guild day, i.e. challenge reveal day.

This year the rules were a little different. The finished piece could be no larger than 10" square and had to have means to hang it from a tree branch. Here is the display.


My guild will be hosting the June meeting of the Colorado Quilting Council. This will be set up for that meeting too.

Here are close ups of a few of the pieces:






Below are my two entries:



Mine were photographed at home before I put on the hanging ribbons. I just hand tacked the ribbons to the back because I want to remove them after we are done displaying these. I plan to make at least one more bird in this series I have titled "Bohemian Birds" and then attach them all to a quilted background.

Oh, my first bird pictured is named Freida and the second one is named Dot. Thanks to Stephanie for helping me with the names and for "ooohing and aaaahing" as I sent her photos during the process of creating them. It was hard not to be able to share these with you as I was making them. But guild members do read my blog and I wanted it to be a surprise for the reveal. However, it was pretty easy for the guild members to guess that these were mine.

2 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

I loved seeing all the entries, but I particularly liked the last two. You did a fantastic job. That last one with all the beads is awesome. And I would love to know how you did all that stitching on the second to last one. Beautiful work!

Mama Pea said...

They sure turned out great. I really love them! All that beading!

You have some really talented people in your group, as those others are pretty spectacular, too. Isn't it interesting how each has its own unique personality?!