Saturday, April 30, 2011

April Challenge Reveal

This month Stephanie and I decided to do something a little different. We each made a block for Em for her Van Gogh's Cats quilt. And to make it even more fun, both Em and Caroll are making blocks too. We are all revealing our blocks today so click on the links to go see what everyone else made.

I chose the Matisse page.


And this is what I made.


I cropped the photo of the page twice, once to isolate the figure and the second time to isolate the cat. I had to play with the sizes to get the proportions right and to make them fit the 16 1/2" block size Em wanted. For the stars I just looked at the photo and drew shapes that mimicked the stars in the image. My appliques are all just fused to the background. Em with sew them down when she quilts it.

This was a fun project. You should check out the other blocks Em has made and received from others. This is going to be a spectacular quilt!

On a personal note, I'm sorry for the sporadic posts lately. The end of the semester is near - one week of classes left then finals week. I am very busy with work this time of year and don't have much sewing time. I'm on the computer a lot with my job, especially lately. Sometimes I don't feel like "playing" on my computer after spending so much time working on my computer. In addition to all this, I'm suffering worse than normal from seasonal allergies. I'm congested, sneezing a lot, watery and itchy eyes and have had several bad headaches. I'm not sure why it is worse this year, but boy howdy, this sure ain't fun.

5 comments:

Barb said...

These blocks are so fun....I was just at Attic Shop Window and hers is awesome too.

Mama Pea said...

Lynn, it looks great! I love the background fabric you picked, and you mimicked the stars just great!

I know what you mean about no sewing time. I ONLY want to play on the computer, though, instead of doing work. LOL. Hope you are feeling better soon!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your block. Did you do that technique you have talked about on your background? I couldn't tell. Anyway, it is a great block and I'm sure will look spectacular in Em's quilt.

Em said...

Lynn, IT IS FABULOUS....I have a sneaky smile on my lips because I feel blessed that it is in my possession!!!!! I cannot thank you enough for being a part of my life and a hug should be arriving soon from me!!!!!! I can't wait for you to get it. Love, Em

Linda said...

You did a fabulous job with your version!!