Saturday, May 14, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry

I am choosing to share my New York Beauty quilt with you for Festival.


Go over to the Festival Page at Amy's Creative Side to go view the other fabulous entries. Scroll to the bottom of the post to see thumbnail images of all the entries. Click on a picture to see a larger image and read about the quilt.


I made this quilt in 2008. I took a class at my LQS to learn how to paper piece without sewing through the paper and this was the class project. I was not really interested in making a New York Beauty quilt, but I really wanted to learn the technique. When I signed up for the class I thought I would make one block, just to learn the technique, then put it in my orphan block bin for later. Well ... I made one block and had such fun I decided that I did need to make a New York Beauty quilt!

I made all 16 blocks the class project called for using only fabrics from my stash. Then I set them my own way. The blocks are 8" finished and the quilt measures 40" square. If you are not familiar with the paper piecing technique I used for this quilt, you can go see my tutorial on the process.

Once I got the top together, I was a bit stumped on how to quilt it. I decided to try several different motifs. You can click on each image to view it larger if you need to.




This was the first quilt I heavily quilted and made the quilting a feature, not just something to hold the layers together. It was a fun quilt to make and not one I ever thought I would make. Pink is not even really a favorite color of mine! I do love circles though and the border fabric was the first fabric I chose. All the other fabrics were chosen based on this one.

34 comments:

Teresa said...

WOW! That looks tricky. I like it a ton!

What Comes Next? said...

wonderful NYB!

Valentina said...

Oh I am thinking chocolate-raspberry icecream with a sprinkle of pistachio's! Delightful! I hate paper-piecing so you have intrigued me... I will certainly visit your tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing this amazing quilt. :)

The Thompsons said...

That is seriously so cool- I really like the colors as well.

Amanda said...

I love the fabric choices! Very beautiful. :)

Venus de Hilo said...

What a fun quilt! I just read through your tutorial and am now itching to try one of my own. Thanks for sharing this at the Festival!

Marika said...

Very beautiful cheerful darling, Quilt work

Marika said...

Very beautiful cheerful darling, Quilt work

Karen S said...

I love this -- NY beauties are among my favorite blocks. I love the fabrics you used.

Susan said...

Fabulous! I love the NYB block AND i love pink! A real beauty!

Sabine said...

Lovely quilt - lookslike strawberries. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

This is a beauty indeed! I love it.

Jolanda said...

Lovely quilt and I love your colors.

Calicojoan said...

I love these quilts. We are almost neighbors, I live in the Denver area. Got a chance to go to Alamosa a few years back and loved your local quilt shop!

Sherrill said...

OOOoo, that's BEAUTIFUL!! A NY Beauty is definitely on my bucket list. And I used to live kinda close to you (in Pagosa Springs). So pretty up there.

Mama Pea said...

Lynn, I really love your NYB! It's a favorite block of mine, and I do like pink. It's just beautiful. I have a NYB kit...it was a Fons and Porter BOM I didn't keep up with. I have been afraid to start it. But I really want to do it! Love what you did here.

Anne Ida said...

It is a beautiful quilt! And thank you so much for the tutorial!

quilthexle said...

I love New York Beauty quilts - and what a clever use of stripes! Thanks for sharing.

Vickie said...

Posted over on your tutorial, but wanted to come back here and post as well! This quilt is fabulous!!! I love the technique and the fabrics. I enjoy paper piecing, but probably wouldn't do an entire quilt...until now!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

wow, fantastic work! it's amazing!

Marg said...

I've not been a fan of NWB blocks but I have seen some beautiful ones lately. Yours are stunning. I love the colours and fabrics you have chosen. It's a beautiful quilt.

Melinda said...

Wow, this is so pretty. I'm going straight to your tutorial to see how you did this one!

stitchinpenny said...

It is a beautiful quilt and your quilting does add to the quilt.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

MMMMM...this is REALLY pretty. It looks really difficult to do. The colors worked so well with the design. Love it!

Deanna said...

WOW! I can see why you like it so much. Funny how a quilt can be everything you don't like, and yet you like the quilt. I have had similar things happen to me before.

~Kris~ said...

You really did a lovely job. The colors are just stunning. New York Beauty is definitely on my to do list one of these days. Thanks for sharing.

Lonci said...

Very very nice quilt, congratulations:)

Karen said...

Simply stunning! It looks wonderful. Great colour selection. Great work with the quilting, too!

Cindy said...

Oh...my...goodness!! This quilt is gorgeous!! GREAT job!!!!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

It's great! NYB blocks are so addictive, it's easy to see why you had to keep going. :)

Alexandrine said...

You are a great "patchworkeuse" !!!!

quiltmom anna said...

I love the New York beauty pattern and you have created a stunning version of it. I had not seen paper piecing without actually stitching through the paper so I enjoyed checking out your tutorial.
Thanks for sharing. Hope you have enjoyed the festival.
Regards from Western Canada,
Anna

Eileen said...

Ooooooh, love this! I think ny beauties are such beautiful blocks. Just love your colors, fabrics, the who thing. Thanks so much for sharing and have a great day

Jeanne said...

I surfed around and saw this post today. (yes, long after you posted it.) I love the photos! I want to make a New York Beauty someday.


Here are some quilt images I am sharing this week:
http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2013/11/quilt-eye-candy.html