Tuesday, May 3, 2011

One of Those Days

I won't bore you with the list of things that have not gone my way lately. I'll just show you one of them that happened today.

Do you remember my first non-pattern pattern block? I finished quilting it and had a few minutes so I thought I'd put some binding on it. Doesn't it look good?!


Check this out though.


What is that!!!? It's oil! My walking foot has been making an awful racket for several months. A few weeks ago it started sticking and not working properly. It would get stuck as I was sewing and cause my machine to stop suddenly. The poor baby would groan and the lights would go out as it was trying to sew but the walking foot would not cooperate. I figured that the walking foot was unusable as it was. Why not try to fix it? So I oiled it. It worked great afterward! Yay for me.

Ummm... not yay now. I don't understand why it leaked oil now. I oiled it 2 weeks ago and then let it sit for several days. Then I sewed with it on scrap fabric until it stopped leaking oil, about 10 or 15 minutes. Before using it today I also sewed on scrap fabric for a few minutes - no oil on the scraps. But as I'm finishing up the fourth corner it leaks. It soaked all the way through to the front of the binding, but did not get on the front of the piece. So all is not lost, but I don't feel like fixing it right now.

*sigh* I need a cup of tea and some chocolate.

5 comments:

West Michigan Quilter said...

Sorry about that oil problem but at least you discovered it on a small piece. I love this piece. Did you hand quilt it?

Barb said...

I hate that when that happens, oil, a drink spilled..whatever....

Linda said...

Oh that would just take the wind out of my sails too!! Been there too many times myself! LOL! I think you'll be able to get it out though. :-)

Mama Pea said...

Oh, man! That is such a bummer. I am so sorry! I am so happy it did not leak onto the top of your quilt, which is just wonderful. Are you just going to cut it off, are you going to try to get it out? I wonder if that Grandma's stain remover would get it out.

Sorry things haven't been going your way. Keep your chin up.

Sujata Shah said...

Love your hand stitching.. I just love to see all of your creative moments that went into this quilt stitch by stitch!