Friday, May 20, 2011

UFO Bust Report

Aaaaah! A finish.


This one is called Tutti Frutti. The pattern is by Gail Garber and it was begun in a class Gail taught to my guild in 2004. The original pattern finished as an octagon. I changed it to be square. This finished at 40" square. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but it is FINISHED.

I had a heck of a time quilting this thing with the many seams in the star portion. I started out using YLI 40 wt. variegated. When am I going to learn?! Once I switched to Aurifil 50 wt., things went more smoothly. I wonder if the 40 wt. YLI is just too thick for my machine. I tried four different kinds of needles in several sizes and my machine skipped stitches all over the place, and not just over seams. The good news is that this time the YLI thread only shredded and broke once.

I used Aurifil to quilt all the borders. Here are some detail shots of the quilting.



I have my next UFO basted and ready for quilting. This is the one I inherited from my mom. She had the center already done. I added the border and will quilt it.


The binding for this one is already made and ready to be sewn on as soon as I finish.

9 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Congratulations, Lynn. It's a beauty!

MariƩ du Toit said...

I like both of them- can't you hang it on the wall?

Deanna said...

Yay you for a finish! And the quilt will find a home and a purpose. They always do.

Barbara Anne said...

Applause, applause!! What a spectacular quilt and the quilting is dynamite! Well done! I agree it should hang on your wall.

Love your mom's quilt, too, and the interesting border that surrounds her star center. I hope you enjoy finishing it for her.

Hugs!

Deb said...

Well, I absolutely LOVE the PURPLE wall quilt!! It's colorful, it's wild and purple, and it's all finished! Way to go!

Mama Pea said...

Lynn, it looks great! I really like it! And great job on the quilting! I almost finished putting together a quilt top last night, and I think I'm going to try quilting it myself. I may need some help figuring out what to quilt on it.

And you're ready to go on another one! Good for you! I feel like I've made progress on my UFOs but I haven't busted many yet!

Alexandrine said...

Ilove it !!

Wonderful !!

Sandy H said...

Wow! Gorgeous! If you can't figure out what to do with it, you can always mail it to me, LOL. And congrats on another finish...

Jen said...

Wow! This is very impressive. It looks like it was so hard to put together. Congrats on the bust!