Monday, August 31, 2009

Twilight in the Garden

I "completed" this quilt in June. I put quotes around "completed" because it doesn't feel done to me. I really like the tree and the flowers. I don't like the background quilting. It doesn't seem to add anything. The quilting doesn't always need to be the focus of a piece, but I think it should always relate to the overall idea of the quilt. I'm not sure it does in this case. I am also not sure about the circles in the sky. I had them left over from the flowers and the background seemed to be missing something. I definitely like it better with the circles than without, but maybe something else (what I don't know) would have been better in their place. Maybe I'll add some beads to the flowers. Another option is to just start over and make another. Artists call this working in series. I've never done that before, but I am starting to see some benefits to this approach.

No comments: