Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Flu Shot gives 7 year old boy Super Powers!

Parker has always been a bit of a wimp when it comes to shots. My husband and I have both had more than our fair share of crying and whining at doctors offices and the health center with Parker getting vaccinations. So when the note came home last week that they would be giving H1N1 vaccinations at Parker's school on Tuesday, we braced for the worst.

They were offering both the shot and the nasal spray, but warned that anyone who had ever been diagnosed with a list of conditions should not get the nasal spray. One of the conditions is asthma and Parker was diagnosed with asthma as a baby. He has not ever had any asthma symptoms while he's been healthy. But when he gets sick it usually goes to his lungs. Then we have to use the nebulizer and after a few days he's better.

We told him that some kids would get the nasal spray but he needed to get the shot because the spray could make him sick. Then Tony told him a story about how he distracts himself and doesn't look at the needle and before he knows it the shot is over. So Parker decided he was going to be brave, but he took a blankie, just in case.

I worried all day. Kept my cell phone in my pocket all day in case he needed me. It never rang. When he got home I asked him how his day was. He said it was great. Taking this as a good sign, I asked about the shot. He said the needle was tiny and hardly hurt at all. He told me all about the procedure. Then he says, very serious and kind of quietly, the shot has given him super powers! It took some serious mommy super powers not to laugh out loud, but somehow I managed.

So ... have you gotten your flu shot? If you are feeling like you could use some super powers, give it a try. Be sure to let me know if it works for you too!

No comments: