Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Home Improvement project

The laundry room walls are on my agenda for today. This picture was taken yesterday and I've already done several sessions on the walls today. I can only work for about 45 minutes before my shoulders, neck and back need a break. I'd take another picture to post but I don't think you'll be able to see much difference at this point.

The project is to prepare the walls to be painted. The problem is that the walls are in really bad shape. When we bought the house all the walls along the exterior of the house had been crudely framed, insulated and covered with paneling. We ripped all that out the first week we lived here. Most of the walls were fine underneath with a really nice texture that has been impossible to imitate. But the laundry room walls had yellow and green peeling paint underneath. My dad scraped all the peeling paint off and then my husband slapped joint compound onto the walls. Unfortunately, he applied it too thick in places, so it cracked as it dried, and he textured it too much so it is impossible to paint. After 4 years (or more) of waiting for the walls to finish themselves, I'm just going to have to do it myself. The quote in the header of my blog is from the Lord of the Rings and is "it's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish." Around our house we don't have trouble starting things, it's the finishing! I am hoping that 2010 will be the year we finish all the projects we have started, or at least the laundry room.

No comments: