Monday, August 16, 2010

Paintstiks, Part 2

For the next couple of projects I used rubbing plates. I used a set made by Cedar Canyon Textiles called triangles. The set contains six plates and this image from their website shows you the six plates in the set. Click here to see the other sets they have.


For this first one I use the other half of the fat quarter from the grid project. Here is the before photo.


And the after


I was trying to move the plate uniformly so I could get a nice evenly repeated image of the rubbing plate. These plates are about 6 inches square so you pretty much have to move them around to fill up an area with the design. It was impossible for me to move it uniformly so I gave up on the next two.

For this one I used the gold and copper colors from my set of iridescent Paintstiks and moved a plate around somewhat randomly, twisting and turning it.


For this one I used two of the blue colors and again moved a rubbing plate around, twisting and turning it.


One of the things I find frustrating about my set of paint sticks is that the individual sticks are not labeled. (I have the set of 15 mini iridescent sticks.) So I have no idea what colors I am using. It didn't occur to me until just now that I should number my sticks with a Sharpie and then I can at least make notes to myself about which colors I used on each project.

I have one more project to share with you tomorrow. I'll be giving a short demonstration/lecture to my guild on Saturday about Paintstiks. These will be my samples.

1 comment:

Mama Pea said...

Looks like you are having fun with these. I really like the second couple you did. I think the twisting and turning helps, since it is so difficult to line things up just right. I also think the mottled fabric looks really good with these. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with this.